Friday, September 23, 2011

Musical Frisson

Went to a music festival which features Yellowcard, Panic! At The Disco, and Bad Religion. It was SUPERB. Even though I only hang around until half the show, I was pretty much satisfied with what I saw, hear, and especially, feel. I went with my brother. The first time we ever watch a concert together. Yay for us! And this time, watching our favorite band, Yellowcard!

Yellowcard played first, 7pm sharp. The venue was not yet packed at the moment so I could fit myself pretty much almost at the front-line, I was on the third or fourth row, I think. To see the band perform that close, it was over-whelming! The sound system was gigantic and should I say, superb, I practically wasn't able to talk to my brother.

Yellowcard played pretty much their hit singles, and what makes me happier, the setlist* includes my favorite songs. Yay for me! They play mostly songs from the last 4 albums. Ocean Avenue was my favorite. On their sort-of-break, Ryan was on his acoustic guitar, then he played empty apartment, alone, until Sean followed through with the violin near the end. His voice was perfect. I couldn't believe it myself. I have watched couple of their live performances, and Ryan's voice is much much much better when I see him live.

The band was over-all attractive and quite engaging. Ryan Key was smiling and rocking to the center stage along with Ryan Mendez or Sean Mackin. Ryan Mendez keeps it cool all the way. And Sean Mackin, he's just the goofy Sean making funny faces while singing back-up and encouraging people to sing along. Sean O'Donnel, oh there must be something with the name Sean. He's also very funny. When the audience asked for his guitar pick, he was trying to give body language "we're too far apart, the guitar pick cannot reached you (the audience)". But at the end, he went to the tongue of the stage, and throwing guitar picks. When he ran out of guitar pick, he was trying to throw his bass guitar, but he was like "just kidding" while making funny faces. Last but not least, I may not have his pictures because he's too far back (and I am too focused on Ryan Key), he's the most laid-back up-beat-tempo drummer. He played and up-beat song and he just look so calm. I wonder how.

Over all. Both were uh-ma-zing. The chance to watch them perform live and to watch it with my brother. I got to watch Panic! At The Disco for a couple songs before we decided to bail. I often hear people saying Panic is not really good at live shows, but I got to say, that performance was also awesome. Brendon Urie has such a charisma, which draws attention to him -beside his pretty boy face-.  And perhaps the charisma came out from instead of drinking water, he drank beer on stage. Save water, drink beer, huh Brendon?

Here I present you, some of my captures from my newly-bought-for-this-special-event-camera, Stinson (I named it after Barney Stinson, because I know it's gonna capture LEGENDARY moments). I added a little touch of Photoshop actions. If you see me and my brother face on the photoset, it was an expression of too much happiness. That's the best we can get our face into. Last but not least, I cannot wait until I get to see Yellowcard live again. Soon, I hope. Toodles!







 






-----
* Yellowcard Setlist, Big Wave Festival, Jakarta
  1. For You and Your Denial
  2. Way Away
  3. Fighting
  4. Rough Landing, Holly
  5. With You Around
  6. Light Up The Sky
  7. Empty Apartment
  8. Hang You Up
  9. Lights and Sound
  10. Only One
  11. Believe
  12. Ocean avenue



No comments: