Friday, May 12, 2017

Oh slow weekend getaway

I went for a getaway weekend to Oslo and treating myself (again-and-again) to see John Mayer live. I took the 6 hour train ride from Trondheim to Oslo (as it was the cheapest option). NSB train is actually pretty good, they have electrical sockets and free wi-fi on the train. I took the afternoon train, and since the sun sets down late in the day, I got an enjoyable view.

Norwegian landscapes will never fail to amuse your eyes

The Sunday I was there, all stores are closed. So I had brunch at the Nighthawk Diner where the waitress is super nice and super friendly and they have the best egg's benedict I have ever tasted. After brunch I just walked around the city. I walk around Grunnerløka (holding myself from entering all the tempting sunday market) and go through their parks. Even though it was a clear sunny day, the wind was blowing pretty hard so I couldn't stayed out too long (can never predict Norwegian weather and correspond your outfit enough to survive every changing situation during the day). My best decision of the day was also to ditch maps and just walk and kept on walking along Akerselva river. Thanks to my navigation skill that is way beyond perfect, I end up going in circles. So I revisit the map again. 

Norwegian spring

The other days I spent around the museums and more parks. My favourite one is the Munch Museum which dedicated to the life and work of Edvard Munch. I didn't see the famous "The Scream" paintings by him there tho, I might missed it or... it just wasn't there?

Munch Museum
Vigeland Sculpture Park - Vikingskipshuset

Last but not least! One BIG check of my bucket list! Watch John Mayer live! It was an experience beyond awesome (couldn't find any better word to describe it). A two hour long show (I must say this is long, compared to the latest concert that I saw which pretty much usually last 1 to 1,5 hour long)! Really artistic visuals (oh and I really like watching the changing of sets from full band to acoustic to trio to full band again, all the dragging of the sets just made me excited). The set-list was perfect also. He didn't played some of my favourite songs, but come on, with that much on his belt it must've been hard to make a set list. And since (I checked) he played slightly different sets on every city, so well, the set-list was perfect for Oslo.


Oh and the crowd! Never had such a calm concert in my life. When John ended "Dear, Marie", the crowd kept on singing the outro part (I don't know what it's called - "ooh.. ooh.. ooh.." part in the end). The band was already preparing to the next song but then they began playing that part again. And when the band went out stage before the encore, the crowd start singing (again) the theme for the search for everything, then the band went in again and played the song. Best part was the closing, John sang "You're gonna live forever in me" (another favourite song) with a simple white piano and a LED screen just puts on white as the background. Perfect!


So, it's safe to say the trip was worth it; the walk, the food, the concert, every penny worth spent!

PS: Coming back from the trip, I realise 1) I do enjoy walking alone, 2) still I'd prefer having a company to stroll around, 3) I do enjoy that long train ride (especially when there's no one sitting next to you).

No comments: